Bill O'Reilly is out at Fox News after a swirling sexual harassment scandal refused to let up on its prime-time star.

"After a thorough and careful review of allegations against him, the Company and Bill O'Reilly have agreed that Mr. O'Reilly will not return to the Fox News Channel," 21st Century Fox said in a statement Wednesday.

An internal statement by the company's executives added that the decision followed "an extensive review done in collaboration with outside counsel."

Signed by Rupert, Lachlan and James Murdoch, the statement also acknowledged O'Reilly as "one of the most accomplished TV personalities in the history of cable news" of "indisputable" success.

The announcement followed hours of intense speculation that O'Reilly was finally on his way out, first triggered by a New York Times article earlier this month that revealed Fox and O'Reilly had settled multiple sexual harassment claims with a number of women, totaling in the millions of dollars.

O'Reilly is currently on vacation in Italy and had been scheduled to return Monday.

His ousting comes after two decades of anchoring his highly rated program, "The O'Reilly Factor," which reportedly brought in millions of dollars of revenue for Fox.

After the Times' initial report on all the harassment claims, advertisers began fleeing the "Factor" en masse.

An internal Fox memo instructed staff of the channel's new prime-time program lineup. Taking O'Reilly's 8 p.m. slot is the new and popular "Tucker Tonight," hosted by Tucker Carlson, whose show previously followed O'Reilly's.

Taking Carlson's spot at 9 p.m. is "The Five," which currently runs at 5 p.m.

Beginning on May 1, Fox host Eric Bolling will debut an as-yet untitled one-hour program.

It's unclear what O'Reilly will do going forward. He is a prolific bestselling author, newspaper columnist and heads a personal website with original video content.

His publisher, the MacMillan imprint called Henry Holt, has said it had no plans to end its relationship with O'Reilly, according to the New Republic.

O'Reilly's departure comes nine months after former Fox News Chairman Roger Ailes was brought down by his own sexual harassment scandal, with a line of women ultimately coming forward with years' worth of claims of unwanted advances and lewd comments.

Rupert Murdoch, the executive chairman of 21st Century Fox, is believed to have been more sympathetic to O'Reilly, his longtime employee. But his sons Lachlan, co-chairman, and James, CEO, reportedly worked to convince Rupert that O'Reilly had become a liability, especially after the Ailes harassment issue.

UltraViolet, a women's advocacy group that organized a protest against O'Reilly outside Fox headquarters on Tuesday, said the network has had a "systemic sexual harassment" problem for years that won't just end now.

"From Roger Ailes to Bill O'Reilly, Fox News has consistently failed to provide a workplace safe from sexual harassment and abuse — and that's a big problem," UltraViolet co-founder Shaunna Thomas said in a statement. "With reports that dozens of additional women at the network have not yet come forward with allegations of sexual harassment, the next scandal for the network may just be months away."