Billy Bush, who appeared in the now-infamous “Access Hollywood” tape which includes remarks from President Trump about grabbing women by their genitalia without their consent, fired back at Trump after a report emerged saying the president doubted the credibility of the tape.
“You can’t say that. That is your voice. I was there, you were there, that’s your voice on the tape,” the former "Access Hollywood" host said told “Late Show” host Stephen Colbert Monday night.
Trump told a senator and an adviser the “Access Hollywood” tape may not be real, according to a report last week from the New York Times.
Bush shared with Colbert that, after the report emerged, he read an article featuring multiple accounts of women accusing Trump of sexual misconduct
“As I read these, I said '20 women don’t get together and say ‘Hey, you know what would be really fun? Let’s take down a powerful guy together. Haha.’ No they don’t!' And I said, ‘OK, you’re reopening wounds on them too. Enough is enough, stop playing around with people’s lives,'” Bush said. “That upset me. So I wrote.”
TONIGHT: After his op-ed in the @NYTimes, Billy Bush stops by #LSSC to reveal why he's speaking out now, and to talk about what really happened on that bus. pic.twitter.com/buSWhph3mJ— The Late Show (@colbertlateshow) December 5, 2017
Bush was referencing an op-ed he wrote in the New York Times on Sunday validating the credibility of the tape.
In the op-ed, Bush said he believed those who have accused Trump of sexual misconduct and that he cannot imagine the pain the women are experiencing as they see the president “indulging in some revisionist history.”
“I can only imagine how it has reopened the wounds of the women who came forward with their stories about him, and did not receive enough attention. This country is currently trying to reconcile itself to years of power abuse and sexual misconduct. Its leader is wantonly poking the bear,” Bush wrote.
The "Access Hollywood" tape was recorded in 2005 and was released during the 2016 campaign, just weeks before the election. After it was released, Trump admitted it was him and apologized for the remarks, which he described as “locker-room talk.”
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders would not say if Trump believes the tape is authentic last week.
“The president addressed this, this was litigated and certainly answered during the election by the overwhelming support for the president and the fact he's sitting here in the Oval Office today,” Sanders said.