California became the first state on Wednesday to announce plans to sue the Trump administration over its plans to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border.
Standing just feet from border fencing near San Diego, Attorney General Xavier Becerra said the Golden State will attempt to block President Trump from carrying out one of his most well-known campaign promises.
Becerra cited various grounds for the lawsuit, including the California Coastal Commission's desire "to protect the state of California's residents, natural resources, economic interests, procedural rights, and sovereignty from violations of the United States Constitution."
The suit alleges a wall would have a negative effect on tourism from Mexico to the U.S., but does not address how it would be affected since border checkpoints would still exist at current locations.
Becerra also said the Trump administration overruled federal and state environmental laws "by vesting in the Executive Branch the power to waive state and local laws, including state criminal law" in order to move quickly on the project.
The brief also claims the Department of Homeland Security has not complied with the Clean Water Act and the National Environmental Policy Act.
DHS has selected six contractors who will build eight wall prototypes - four concrete samples and four "other materials" samples. The Trump administration has not issued a statement in light of Berecca's announcement.
California is also suing the administration for its decision to wind down the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. It partnered with Minnesota, Maryland, and Maine last week in a lawsuit that alleges the White House is violating the Constitution and other federal laws by overruling a 2012 executive action.