Cigna business executives would not comment Friday on Anthem's bid to bring a lower court's decision blocking their $54 billion merger to the Supreme Court.

"We wouldn't speculate on the outcome," said Cigna President and CEO David Cordani, when asked about it during the company's first-quarter earnings call. "We will communicate as quickly as possible on next steps."

Last week, a U.S. appeals court blocked Anthem's bid to merge with Cigna, upholding a lower court's decision. The lawsuit, an antitrust case, was brought by the Department of Justice under the Obama administration, which said the deal would result in higher prices for customers.

Anthem said in a statement that the appeals court decision would "limit access to high quality affordable care for millions of Americans and deny them more than $2 billion in medical cost savings annually."

Cigna has tried to end the deal with Anthem, which sells plans under the name Blue Cross Blue Shield, and sued the company for $13 billion in damages and sought a $1.85 billion break-up fee.

Despite the legal challenges, Cigna reported higher-than-expected revenue in its earnings call. Its consolidated operating revenue grew 5 percent, to $10.34 billion, and its customers grew by 4 percent, to 15.7 million at the end of the quarter, driven mostly by its contracts with commercial plans.

Cigna has a smaller presence in the Obamacare exchanges than some other insurers, and the company would not say what its plans were for participation in 2018.

"We remain fully focused aligned and prepared for the open enrollment process for the fall," Cordani said. "Beyond that not helpful to expand further."

Insurance companies are facing uncertainty as they wait to see how Republicans will change Obamacare and whether the Trump administration will continue to pay out billions of dollars that help insurers offer lower out-of-pocket medical costs to customers.