President Trump's aggressive hurricane cleanup program and his outreach to Democrats has boosted his support among his base and won applause from younger and black voters, according to a new survey provided to Secrets.
"Trump wins back base! Makes gains among younger voters," is the headline on the latest Zogby Analytics poll.
"On the heels of recent political victories such as working with Democrats in getting aid for victims of Hurricane Harvey, and raising the debt ceiling until mid-December, the president will now hit the road and pitch his tax reform package to the public on a blistering 13 city tour. Will there be more successes for Trump? It's hard to tell because of the unpredictability of his presidency so far, but this is a step in the right direction. The big take away from this poll is that since reaching lows in popularity with his base in the last few months, Trump has regained support from some of his main base groups, but not all of them," said the polling analysis.
Zogby said Trump's approval increased to 43 percent. His disapproval is at 53 percent.
It found that the president has seen his support rebound with men, older voters, and his base, which Zogby calls NASCAR voters.
But he has also been picking up support among younger blacks, younger voters, Hispanics and big and small city dwellers.
He dropped among suburban voters and independents.
Highlights pulled from the poll:
- Men — His numbers have rebounded slightly with men; more men now approve (50%) of the president than disapprove (47%)."
- Younger voters — "The takeaway here is the number of young/millennial voters who approve of Trump has jumped 12% since our May poll. The president also did well among the Millennial crowd of voters age 25-34; 40% approve of Trump, while 57% disapprove."
- GOP — "Trump's numbers are steady among Republicans at 81% approval and 18% disapproval in our latest poll."
- Independents — "The president's numbers continue to be damaged—in May he enjoyed 46% approval and 47% disapproval. Now only a third (32%) approve while 60% disapprove of his job as commander in chief."
- Young blacks — "Trump's numbers improve significantly among young African American voters, 42% approve and 53% disapprove. This number is up significantly since our last oversample in July; at that time 33% approved and 57% disapproved."
- Base voters — "NASCAR fans (60% approve/38% disapprove) and weekly Walmart shoppers (51% approve/46% disapprove) continue to support President Trump. Again, among a core group of supporters, NASCAR fans, there has been an increase in his approval rating."
- Cities/suburbs — "President Trump made gains with voters in large cities (42% approve/55% disapprove), small cities (52% approve/45% disapprove), and rural areas (50% approve/42% disapprove). The president did lose support in the suburbs, 36% of voters approve and 60% disapprove. This was a 10% decrease in support among suburban voters since our last poll."
Paul Bedard, the Washington Examiner's "Washington Secrets" columnist, can be contacted at email@example.com