One adult and one child were taken to hospitals after exposure to a high level of carbon monoxide at a home in Northwest Washington, officials said.

About 1:20 p.m. Monday, D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services personnel went to a home at 1162 First Place NW, in the Sursum Corda neighborhood. One adult was taken to a hospital in serious but stable condition, and an 8-year-old child was taken to a hospital in stable condition. Two other children were treated at the scene.

Battalion Chief Brian Lee said Monday afternoon that it was too soon to tell what the cause of the carbon monoxide exposure was. He did not have information about the relationship between the adult and the children.