A D.C. police officer was arrested in Pittsburgh after he allegedly pulled out a baton and threatened a bus driver.

Police said the arresting officers needed to use Tasers to subdue the suspect, identified as William Anderson III.

Anderson becomes another of the more than 90 D.C. police officers who have been arrested in the last three-and-a-half years for crimes ranging from DWI to child pornography to murder.

D.C. police spokeswoman Gwen Crump said Anderson has been on the force since 2010, and his police powers have been revoked. He is the 22nd officer arrested this year.

Anderson boarded a crowded bus on Friday night with no seats available, and asked the driver where he was supposed to sit, according to the police report.

The driver told Anderson he could either stand or wait for the next bus.

That angered Anderson, and he began yelling at the bus driver, indicating that the driver wasn't showing him any respect, said Jim Ritchie, spokesman for the Port Authority of Allegheny County Police.

Anderson pulled out an expandable steel baton from a book bag, police said.

"Are you disrespecting me? I'm a cop. I deserve respect," Anderson yelled, according to the police report.

The driver radioed transit police. When the officers arrived, Anderson refused to drop the baton, and reached back into his book bag, police said.

That's when the officer Tasered Anderson, police said.

The baton fell from Anderson's grip, and the D.C. police officer slid down from the bus on to the street, the report said.

Once Anderson was in custody, the passengers cheered, Ritchie said.

"The guy was really was acting wildly," Ritchie said, "so if you were sitting nearby you probably felt threatened or uneasy about where you are."

Anderson continued being combative toward the officers all the way to the police station, authorities said. It was there that they confirmed Anderson was an officer for the Metropolitan Police Department.

The 19-inch telescopic baton and several different pain medicines were logged into evidence.

Anderson was charged with reckless endangerment, terrorist threats and harassment.

He was reportedly on leave from the D.C. police department when the incident occurred, but Crump would not confirm that on Wednesday.

90 officers|smccabe@washingtonexaminer.com