Ward 7 Councilwoman Yvette Alexander said Monday that she did not accept or solicit a $20,000 bribe in exchange for her support of a bid for the District's lucrative lottery contract.
"I want to make it clear that these allegations are totally false and have no merit," Alexander said in a statement released by her office. "I have never accepted any money or bribes in exchange for a legislative vote. All of my votes have been based on what I believe is best for my constituents, not what is best for me. I have served the residents of the District of Columbia with the utmost integrity, and I would never jeopardize my reputation with an outright criminal act."
Alexander's statement came hours after an Associated Press report said two of the lawmaker's aides sought money from local developer Warren Williams Jr. when a partnership he was associated with sought the city's lottery contract.Williams' lawyer did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The dealings surrounding the lottery contract are the subject of a probe by a federal grand jury, and The Washington Examiner reported in July that authorities had issued subpoenas referencing anti-bribery laws.
Alexander, who has not been charged said investigators have not questioned her or any current members of her staff. Spokesman for U.S. Attorney Ronald Machen Jr. declined to comment.
First elected in 2007, Alexander is one of the council's most affable lawmakers, and she drew attention earlier this year with an emotional plea for the embattled D.C. Council to clean up its act.
"Tomorrow, we could be in handcuffs," a tearful Alexander said in June as she urged her colleagues to reassess their standing among residents.
She was quick to add, however, "You will not see me in handcuffs." On Twitter, Alexander accused Ronald Moten, her opponent in November's general election, of being the source of the allegations. Moten angrily denied Alexander's theory and threatened to sue her for "liable [sic] and slander."