A D.C. police officer is going on probation after being sentenced Thursday to the 14 months behind bars he already served for shooting at a car full of transgender prostitutes who refused to pick him up.

Kenneth Furr, 48, was found guilty in October of several charges, including assault with intent to kill while armed.

D.C. Superior Court Judge Russell Canan sentenced Furr to five years in prison and 30 days for solicitation of prostitution, and suspended all but 14 months of that time on the condition that Furr successfully complete three years of supervised probation.

The judge credited the time that Furr had already spent in custody toward his sentence; as a result, Furr remains free and is now on probation.

According to charging documents, in the early morning hours of Aug. 26, 2011, Furr, who was off duty, attempted to pick up transgender prostitutes in the area of Fifth and K streets NW.

Furr followed one of them into the CVS pharmacy at 400 Massachusetts Avenue, and continued to solicit one of the prostitutes. The store's security officer, and off-duty D.C. police officer, asked Furr to leave.

Outside the store, he pulled gun on one of the victims, who then reported the incident to the security officer at the pharmacy, charging documents said.

After Furr identified himself as a police officer, the security officer ceased his investigation and let him go, prosecutors said.

About 20 minutes later, the transgender group drove by and found Furr in the area of 5th and K trying to pick up another transgender prostitute.

The complainants pulled their car next to Furr's, and at least one of the occupants in the complainants' car assaulted Furr. Furr sped off and the complainants' car followed.

Furr got out of his vehicle and began shooting toward their vehicle.

The driver of the victims' car ducked and hit the accelerator, crashing into the side of Furr's vehicle. Furr then jumped on the hood of the occupied vehicle and continued shooting, firing a total of five rounds. Three of the occupants of the car suffered injuries.

It wasn't the first time Furr has gotten into trouble.

He was arrested in 2004 for driving while intoxicated and operating while impaired, according to court records. He pleaded no contest and the charges were dropped after he completed a diversion program.