A D.C. police officer convicted of shooting inside a car full of transgender prostitutes who refused to pick him up has been placed on probation.

Kenneth Furr, 48, was found guilty in October of several charges, including assault.

D.C. Superior Court Judge Russell Canan on Thursday sentenced Furr to five years in prison and 30 days for solicitation of prostitution, and suspended all but 14 months of that time on the condition that Furr successfully complete three years of supervised probation.

The judge credited the time that Furr had already spent in custody toward his sentence; as a result, Furr remains free and is now on probation, prosecutors said.

Furr is suspended without pay, D.C. police spokeswoman Gwen Crump said Thursday. She said there is a process for firing officers convicted of felonies, but she said she could not comment on Furr's matter.

According to charging documents, in the early morning hours of Aug. 26, 2011, Furr, who was off duty, attempted to pick up transgender prostitutes in the area of Fifth and K streets Northwest.

Furr followed them into the CVS pharmacy at 400 Massachusetts Ave., and continued to solicit one of the prostitutes. The store's security officer, who was an off-duty D.C. police officer, asked Furr to leave.

Outside the store, Furr pulled gun on one of the victims, who then reported the incident to the security officer at the pharmacy, charging documents said.

After Furr identified himself as a police officer, the security officer let him go, prosecutors said.

About 20 minutes later, the transgender group drove by and saw Furr in the area of Fifth and K streets trying to pick up another transgender prostitute, according to court documents.

One of the prostitutes got out of the vehicle and assaulted Furr. He sped off and the transgender group pursued him in their car.

Furr got out of his vehicle and began shooting at the other vehicle.

The driver of the victims' car ducked and hit the accelerator, crashing into Furr's vehicle. Furr then jumped on the hood of the occupied vehicle and continued shooting. Three of the occupants of the car suffered injuries.

It wasn't the first time Furr had gotten into trouble.

He was arrested in 2004 for driving while intoxicated and operating a motor vehicle while impaired. He pleaded no contest and the charges were dropped after he completed a diversion program.