FBI Director Christopher Wray said Tuesday that the White House received results from a completed background check into former White House aide Rob Porter in July, but was asked to take further investigative steps.
Porter resigned as White House staff secretary last week amid accusations he abused both of his ex-wives. He was working with a temporary security clearance because the FBI had not approved him for permanent status.
Both of Porter's ex-wives both said they spoke with the FBI in January 2017 and again months later regarding the alleged physical abuse and the possibility Porter's conduct would provide fodder for blackmail.
"The FBI submitted a partial report on the investigation in question in March and then a completed background investigation in late July," Wray said during a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing.
"Soon thereafter, we received requests for follow-up inquiry and we did the follow-up and provided that information in November. And then we administratively closed the file in January. And then earlier this month we received some additional information and we passed that along as well," he continued.
White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders did not respond to a request for comment regarding who inside the White House was aware of the FBI's July background check findings and who requested further FBI review.
Wray's testimony appears to contradict Sanders' claim Monday that, as of last week, "the process for the background [check] was ongoing, and the White House had not received any specific papers regarding the completion of that background check."