FBI officials are reviewing a pair of memos sent from the law enforcement agency to the State Department during their year-long investigation of Hillary Clinton's private email use.
In the same Freedom of Information Act lawsuit that forced the release of more than 30,000 Clinton emails to date, the FBI said in court documents filed Wednesday that it plans to give the State Department thousands of emails recovered from Clinton's private server so the agency can determine which were related to the former secretary's work.
Clinton had attempted to decide personally which emails she would provide the government and which she would withhold before the FBI opened its criminal investigation in July of last year.
That probe led agents to confiscate several of Clinton's private servers and devices, on which they found "several thousand" work-related records that were not included in the batch Clinton's legal team turned over in late 2014.
State Department officials have pledged to make public the government emails they receive from the FBI.
Attorneys for the bureau also said the FBI is "currently processing" two "records of correspondence" with the State Department about the Clinton email investigation.
Both the communications with State and the recovered emails are no longer protected by FOIA exemptions that shield from public release any records related to an ongoing investigation.
FBI Director James Comey announced on July 5 that his team had concluded its probe without recommending the Justice Department bring criminal charges against anyone involved.
The lawsuit, brought by Jason Leopold of Vice News, compelled the State Department to release the emails Clinton provided on a rolling basis from June of last year to February 2016.
Ryan James, the attorney representing Leopold, said in a statement that he plans to push the FBI to work quickly in order to make the newly discovered records available to voters before the presidential election.