Today's the day Americans will give thanks for their blessings, but some of us can be more thankful than others.

At the top of that list would be none other than Barack Hussein Obama, who should thank the same clueless electorate that voted him into office in 2008 for returning him to office in 2012.

It might be considered gauche to dismiss an entire segment -- some 51 percent, in fact -- of the electorate as clueless, but I have my reasons.

I contended in 2008 that no presidential contender, at least in modern times, brought Obama's thin resume to a run for the presidency. Most of his political experience was as a state senator in Illinois.

He only had three years of experience in the U.S. Senate. He had no military experience and no experience of having served in the executive branch of government, on the local, state or national level.

In short, the man was a zero. No white candidate with Obama's resume would have gotten past the first round of primaries, much less been elected president. And no white incumbent president, with a record similar to Obama's, would have had a ghost of a chance being re-elected. As it did in 2008, Obama's race worked for him, not against him.

Missourians can be thankful that Rep. Todd Akin won't be their U.S. senator. Residents of the Hoosier state can be thankful Richard Mourdock won't be representing them in the U.S. Senate.

Both Akin and Mourdock are Republicans; they belong to the same party I belong to. But their views about rape and abortion I find not only repulsive, but also bizarre.

Akin gained notoriety for his "legitimate rape" gaffe, as if the words "legitimate" and "rape" should ever be used together in any context.

Mourdock's claim to infamy came when he said that if a woman got pregnant as a result being raped, then the pregnancy was what God intended to happen.

There are those that defended Mourdock, claiming that he wasn't saying God intends for women that get pregnant from rape to be raped. But that leaves us with this curious type of deity that is against women being raped but is for them getting pregnant from the rape said deity was against in the first place.

Confused? Yeah, and so is Mourdock.

All Democrats should be thankful to the debate moderator who put the question about rape and abortion to Mourdock. Just where do the people that set up these debates find these moderators?

Abortions that are performed on women that became pregnant after being raped comprise only about 1 percent of all abortions. Why is the question even asked about such a miniscule percentage, when we're not even close to legislation on the other 99 percent of cases?

Where are the questions about Democrats' support of laws that allow minors that want abortions to keep their parents in the dark about their condition and the procedure? Where are the questions about taxpayer money being used to fund abortions?

In short, why are there no questions that put Democrats on the spot for their more extreme positions on abortion?

Finally, there are two people out in Cleveland that should give extra thanks today.

One is bus driver Artis Hughes, the man seen upper cutting an unruly passenger back in September. True, Hughes was recently fired, according to news reports. But he should be thankful that the woman he socked, 25-year-old Shi'Dea Lane, was no Laila Ali.

Lane, for her part, should be thankful that Hughes didn't have an uppercut like former heavyweight champions George Foreman or Mike Tyson.

Either that, or she should be thankful she has a chin like late former heavyweight champions Rocky Marciano and Joe Frazier.

Examiner Columnist Gregory Kane is a Pulitzer nominated news and opinion journalist who has covered people and politics from Baltimore to the Sudan.