Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., will not seek re-election in 2018 amid allegations of sexual misconduct, according to a report Wednesday.
Conyers will not resign from his post, but intends to announce in January he will no longer run for re-election, sources told WDIV-TV, a local NBC-affiliate in the Detroit area.
Multiple women have accused Conyers of sexual harassment, and Conyers admitted to a settlement but denied the allegations.
According to documents from the wrongful dismissal complaint, including affidavits signed by four former staffers, Conyers on multiple occasions made unwanted sexual advanced to his female staff, BuzzFeed reported earlier this month.
The sexual misconduct allegations included asking for sexual favors, caressing and touching, rubbing legs and backs in public, and having his staff contact and transport women they believed were having affairs with Conyers.
Another former employee who worked as a scheduler for Conyers said the congressman allegedly touched her inappropriately “repeatedly and daily” in a lawsuit that was eventually withdrawn. She was fired in 2016.
The House Ethics Committee is investigating Conyers' behavior, and while he has resisted pressure from a handful of fellow Democrats to resign, Conyers has stepped down as ranking member of the House Judiciary Committee over the weekend.
Conyers is the longest-serving active member of Congress and a founding member of the Congressional Black Caucus.