Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., is expected to announce Tuesday that he will not seek-election in 2018, ending his run as the longest-serving House member after allegations of sexual harassment, according to a report published Tuesday morning.
"He is not resigning. He is going to retire," state Sen. Sen. Ian Conyers, the grandson of the congressman's brother, told the New York Times. "His doctor advised him that the rigor of another campaign would be too much for him just in terms of his health."
Ian Conyers, 29, will run for the seat in an attempt to keep the district in the family.
Conyers, 88, will share the news on local radio program "The Mildred Gaddis Show" Tuesday morning, the grandson added.
Conyers has been in Congress for 52 years, but has come under public scrutiny for a sexual harassment settlement with a former staffer and other harassment allegations.
Conyers' lawyer insisted last Friday that the lawmaker is innocent of any sexual harassment or assault against a former female staffer.
The lawmaker was hospitalized for "stress" last Thursday. Arnold Reed, Conyers' attorney, said his client was waiting to see test results before deciding whether to run for another term.
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi broke with Conyers last week and said he should resign in light of multiple sexual harassment allegations waged against him.