White House chief of staff John Kelly believes a memo detailing alleged government surveillance abuses will be made available to the public soon.
“It will be released here pretty quick, I think, and then the whole world can see it,” Kelly told Fox News Radio on Wednesday.
The White House chief of staff said he has seen the memo, compiled by House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes, R-Calif., and his staff. Kelly said White House lawyers are going over the four-page document.
The House Intelligence Committee voted along party lines Monday to make public a memo Republicans say details how senior officials at the Justice Department and the FBI abused a government surveillance program.
The committee had previously made the document available to all members of the lower chamber, which sparked a campaign from Republicans for the four-page memo to be released to the public.
President Trump has five days after Monday’s vote to decide whether to allow the document to be made public.
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said Tuesday before the State of the Union the White House didn’t have “current plans” to release the memo.
But while he was leaving the speech later Tuesday night, Trump was heard telling a GOP lawmakers he will “100 percent” allow for the public to see the controversial document.
Appearing on CNN on Wednesday, Sanders, meanwhile, said the president hadn’t seen the memo “as of last night prior to and immediately after” the State of the Union.
“We’re still going to complete the legal and national security review that has to take place before putting something out publicly,” Sanders said. “That’s the place where we are right now.”
Sanders, who also hasn’t seen the document, said there’s “always a chance” Trump doesn’t allow for it to be released.