Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said the Department of Justice is still reviewing its policy for issuing subpoenas to journalists as part of its effort to crackdown on leaks of classified government information.
Taking questions following a speech to the conservative Heritage Foundation in Washington on Thursday, Rosenstein said there is a "continuing effort" to review the Justice Department's internal guidelines for issuing subpoenas and search warrants to journalists, which was last changed during the Obama administration in 2015.
"We're reviewing it to determine if it's appropriate to make any other changes," Rosenstein said, adding he hopes that those with concerns about the ongoing review will "withhold criticism until we do make changes."
Rosenstein called the review a "good faith effort."
"If we got it right in the most recent version, we won't need to change it," he said, but admitted "there are provisions that might warrant revision."
Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in early August career investigators and prosecutors told him in an effort to crack down on leaks to review how the department deals with the media.
"One of the things we are doing is reviewing policies affecting media subpoenas. We respect the important role that the press plays and will give them respect, but it is not unlimited," Sessions said.
The Washington Examiner previously reported that preliminary discussions to review the guidelines began in late August, but substantial meetings would not happen until after Labor Day weekend.