The March for Life, started to protest the 1973 Supreme Court Roe vs. Wade case legalizing abortion, is celebrating its 45th anniversary with the lowest number of legal abortions since that decision.
Scheduled for January 19, the march is expected to draw over 100,000 to Washington and an unusual number of featured speakers including sports star Tim Tebow’s mom Pam, according to organizers.
The theme this year is “Love Saves Lives.” The organizers on Thursday said the theme “embodies the true spirit and mission of the pro-life movement enlisting the power of love to empower others to choose life.”
The 45th March comes at a good time for abortion opponents. According to a report from the Guttmacher Institute, which supports legalized abortion, legal abortions have continued to drop since peaking in 1980 and are now at the lowest level since the 1973 case was decided.
Below is the preliminary schedule for January’s march put out by organizers.
The 45th Annual March for Life
January 19th, 2018
- MFL Rally – starts at 11:30am ET featuring musical guest Plumb
- March for Life – starts at 1:00pm ET (directly after the rally concludes)
- MFL Rally - 12th St. on the National Mall, between Madison Drive and Jefferson Drive
- March for Life - Constitution Avenue between 12th and 14th Streets, ending at steps of Supreme Court
Confirmed speakers include:
- Pam Tebow, mother of NFL/MLB superstar Tim Tebow
- Matt Birk, former NFL player, and wife Adrianna Birk
- U.S. Representative Dan Lipinski (D-IL)
- U.S. Representative Chris Smith (R-NJ)
- Sr. Bethany Madonna, Sisters of Life
Additional March for Life Events: All events listed below will be hosted at the Renaissance Hotel, 999 9th St NW, Washington, D.C., 20001
Jan. 18th, 2018:
- MFL Conference and Expo, 9:00AM – 12:00PM ET. Speakers include keynote speaker Stephanie Gray (Canadian Centre for Bio-Ethical Reform), moderator Kathryn Jean Lopex (National Review Online), Kelly Rosati (Focus on the Family), Chuck Donovan (Charlotte Lozier Institute).
- MFL Youth Rally, 2:00PM – 4:00PM ET. Speakers included musical guest The Restless, Jeanne Mancini (March for Life), Andrew Wood (Hope Resource Center)
Jan. 19th, 2018:
- 36th Annual Rose Dinner, 7:00 pm ET. Keynote Speaker is Pam Tebow.
Paul Bedard, the Washington Examiner's "Washington Secrets" columnist, can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org