Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., responded to "incidents" in Cuba that led to two Cuban embassy officials being forced to leave the United States, saying the Cuban government's harassment is not new and "shows the extent the Castro regime will go."

"The Cuban government has been harassing U.S. personnel working in Havana for decades," Rubio said, according to a tweet Wednesday from CBS News Correspondent Steve Dorsey. He also took a swipe at former President Barack Obama.

"This has not stopped with President Obama's appeasement," Rubio was quoted as saying. "Personal harm to U.S. officials shows the extent the Castro regime will go and clearly violates international norms."

The State Department announced earlier in the day that two Cuban embassy officials were ordered to leave the U.S. due to a situation involving "incidents" that impacted the health of Americans at the U.S. Embassy in Havana, Cuba.

An "acoustic attack" on several State Department employees may have occurred, according to a Wednesday CNN report. "Employees could have suffered permanent hearing loss as a result," from sonic devices, as reported by CNN.

"Some" personnel received a "variety of physical symptoms," the State Department confirmed.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is reportedly looking into the incidents.

"The Cuban government has a responsibility and an obligation under the Geneva Convention to protect our diplomats," State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said.