Vice President Mike Pence is “appalled” by the allegations against former White House aide Rob Porter who is accused of physically and verbally abusing his two ex-wives.
Pence said he was unaware of the allegations against Porter until he resigned Wednesday.
“I was appalled when I learned of the allegations against Rob Porter,” he told NBC’s Lester Holt. “There’s no tolerance in this White House, no place in America for domestic abuse.”
EXCLUSIVE: Vice President Mike Pence tells @LesterHoltNBC that the White House has "no tolerance" for domestic abuse.
Watch the interview tonight on @NBCNightlyNews. pic.twitter.com/pyr945Nkae— NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt (@NBCNightlyNews) February 9, 2018
The White House has faced criticism over how much it knew and when it knew of the accusations against Porter.
White House chief of staff John Kelly and other West Wing staffers issued statements in support of Porter on Tuesday when both ex-wives told the Daily Mail that the aide had been abusive during their respective marriages.
Deputy press secretary Raj Shah admitted Thursday, the White House “could have done better” in its handling of the controversy.
On Friday, President Trump voiced his support for Porter, wishing him well in his future endeavors.
"We hope he has a wonderful career and he will have a great career ahead of him," Trump said. "But it was very sad when we heard about it and certainly he's also very sad now.”
Pence said he would look into the matter when he returns from South Korea and give his advice to the president.
“The White House has acknowledged they could have handled it better,” he said. “When I return to Washington, D.C., I’m going to look into the matter and I’ll share my counsel with the president directly.”