The New York Times has a response for Vice President Mike Pence, who on Sunday slammed an article by the news outlet for being "disgraceful and offensive" due to its reporting of a potential "shadow campaign" run against President Trump in the 2020 election.
"We are confident in the accuracy of our reporting and will let the story speak for itself," replied Danielle Rhoades Ha, a Times spokeswoman.
The newspaper reported earlier this weekend that the GOP is losing faith in Trump and is looking to back someone other than Trump in the 2020 race. Among the various names floated, the report singled Pence out as a leading candidate. The report said that members of Pence's team have spoken privately of setting up a campaign to challenge Trump in the next presidential race.
Pence's aides quickly pushed back on the report, with Marc Lotter, the vice president's press secretary, calling it "wishful thinking" by the New York Times.
"The allegations in this article are categorically false and represent just the latest attempt by the media to divide this Administration," Pence said in a statement shared by the White House on Sunday, calling the article "fake news."