President Barack Obama has no plans to revisit his proposal to allow Syrian refugees in the the United States, even after reports that one of the terrorists in the Paris attack Friday entered France disguised as a refugee.
When pressed by "Fox News Sunday" host Chris Wallace, White House Deputy National Security Advisor Ben Rhodes said they are not "reconsidering" their plan to take in nearly 10,000 Syrian refugees, a plan that has been panned by many GOP 2016 candidates in the wake of the brutal terror attack, which left 129 dead and 350 injured.
"One of the attackers in the French slaughter was carrying a Syrian passport that seemed to indicate that he had been a refugee that had come into Europe along with a flood of migrants in October," Wallace said. "Given that, is President Obama reconsidering his plan to accept 10,000 Syrian refugees over the next year?"
"No, Chris, we're still planning to take in Syrian refugees," Rhodes said. "We have very robust vetting procedures for those refugees. It involves our intelligence community, our national counter-terrorism center, extensive interviews, vetting them against all information."
"What we need to be able to do, frankly, is sort out that foreign fighter flow, those who have gone into Syria and come out and want to launch attacks or those who have connections with ISIL in Syria," Rhodes said. "We need to be able to have the intelligence base to identify and target those people."
"At the same time, we have to recognize there are tragic victims of this conflict," he added. "There are women, children, orphans of this war, and I think we need to do our part, along with our allies, to provide them a safe haven."