House Speaker Paul Ryan ruled out cuts to Medicare in 2018 to beneficiaries despite previously calling for reforming healthcare entitlements.
Ryan said on ABC’s "Good Morning America" Wednesday there could be some Medicare provider issues the Republican Congress could address in 2018.
“Some providers in the Medicare field are getting overpaid,” he said. “As far as you talk about beneficiaries, we are not focused on that.”
Ryan said earlier this month on the Ross Kaminsky radio show the House was going to work on healthcare entitlement reform next year because that will tackle debt and the deficit.
However, Ryan on Wednesday denied that reform would involve Medicare cuts.
“The kinds of the entitlement reform that we are going to be pursuing are the kinds to get people on welfare to work,” he said.
Ryan also pledged that Congress would waive a mandatory $25 billion in Medicare cuts next year under the 2010 Statutory Pay-As-You-Go law. The law calls for mandatory spending cuts if the deficit reaches a certain threshold, which federal estimates show the tax reform bill would do.
However, the cuts can be waived if Congress agrees to it. So far the law’s cuts have been waived 16 times.
While Ryan assured host George Stephanopoulos the cuts won’t go into effect, Democratic support would be needed in the Senate to pass a waiver.
The cuts under the “paygo” law are reportedly a factor into the timing of the tax reform signing. The House is expected to take a final vote Wednesday on the bill that the Senate passed early Wednesday morning.
President Trump could decide to wait until 2018 to sign the bill into law, thus staving off a decision on waiving the paygo cuts until 2019.