Donald Trump's vice presidential running mate suggested that Hillary Clinton was involved in a "pay to play arrangement" as secretary of state with big donors to the Clinton Foundation.
"Well, it looks that way more and more every day, doesn't it?" Indiana Gov. Mike Pence told Chris Wallace on "Fox News Sunday." "The new emails made public just in the last week seem to make a direct connection between favors done by State Department officials and major foreign donors to the Clinton Foundation."
Pence said that Americans have a "right to know" about the connection.
"People of this country are tired of the pay-to-play politics in Washington, D.C.," Pence added. "I promise you that when Donald Trump and I arrive at the White House, we're going to bring all that to an end."
When asked by Wallace if he has any evidence that Clinton took "action" as a result of the donations and if there should be a federal investigation into it, Pence hesitated.
"Well, certainly officials at the FBI, we also found out this week, believe that there should be an investigation," Pence said. "Obama's Department of Justice apparently shut that down."
"It's just one more example of the way I truly believe that the Clintons have been operating over the last 30 years," Pence concluded, adding the Democratic nominee's poor polling about her trustworthiness is why "we so much need to elect Donald Trump."