SAN DIEGO — San Diego's new mayor and newly appointed police chief have invited the federal Department of Justice to investigate the city's police department after allegations of officer misconduct.
Mayor Kevin Faulconer and police Chief Shelley Zimmerman were set to reveal details about the planned six-month investigation at a news conference Monday.
Faulconer and Zimmerman, whose new jobs began earlier this month, and City Attorney Jan Goldsmith made the invitation to the Department of Justice, which will conduct and fund the probe.
The city said in a statement Sunday that the investigation was an attempt to restore transparency and was "the first of many steps to help rebuild the San Diego Police Department."
The Justice Department's office of Community Oriented Policing Services was scheduled to participate in Monday's news conference.
Officials have not named specific allegations that will be investigated, but San Diego officers have been accused of on-the-job sexual mistreatment of women.
Previous police Chief William Lansdowne had said he was seeking an outside audit of department policies, training and discipline before announcing his retirement last month after 11 years on the job. Lansdowne stepped down on the first day that Faulconer took office and was immediately replaced by Zimmerman, the first female police chief of the nation's eighth largest city.
In 2011, Officer Anthony Arevalos was convicted of using his authority to elicit sexual favors from women he stopped on traffic violations. He was serving more than eight years in prison, but a judge last month overturned two of those charges, including sexual battery, and he will be resentenced.
More recently, one officer resigned last month after being charged with sexually assaulting four women in his patrol car, and another was under internal investigation after allegations he had touched an exposed himself to women he had arrested.
The Police Department then began requiring that all women in custody be accompanied by at least two officers.