The three men charged in connection with a hit-and-run of a D.C. police officer this week were each implicated last month in violent crimes, including a sexual assault and an attack on another District cop.

Police charged Kevin Burno with aggravated assault while armed after Tuesday's incident, in which he crossed into an opposite traffic lane and struck Officer Sean Hickman with a Lexus, according to court and police records, after Hickman signaled that Burno should activate his vehicle's lights.

Darrin Twisdale and James Parks, who also goes by Antonio Parks, face charges of accessory after the fact to aggravated assault while armed.

Court records, though, show all three men also had encounters with authorities in February after allegations of violence.

"This is a failure of the criminal justice system," said D.C. police union Chairman Kristopher Baumann. "These suspects had absolutely no business being out on the street, and one of our police officers had to pay the price for that failure."

Authorities said that Burno, 24, was charged with misdemeanor assault on a police officer after a Feb. 6 incident in which he kicked an officer and tried to spit on other officers. He has pleaded not guilty to a misdemeanor assault on a police officer charge.

Records also show that Burno was arrested on Feb. 17 after a fight in which he allegedly struck the victim "in the face and mouth with a close[d] fist." He pleaded not guilty to simple assault in that case.

Parks, 22, and Twisdale were both charged Thursday with first-degree sexual abuse because of an alleged Valentine's Day attack.

According to court filings, Parks allegedly forced a woman to perform oral sex on him after he and Twisdale, 25, forced their way into the victim's home.

The aftermath of Tuesday's attack on Hickman, who has since undergone two surgeries, is the subject of an internal review after the District acknowledged it took 18 minutes for an ambulance to reach the officer because the city had none available and had to request one from Prince George's County.

The District's probe is broad, but city officials said they were focusing on whether any of D.C.'s ambulances had gone offline ahead of schedule.