Three people have resigned from CNN following the retraction of a report last week alleging ties between an associate of President Trump and the Russians.

"In the aftermath of the retraction of a story published on CNN.com, CNN has accepted the resignations of the employees involved in the story's publication," the news organization announced Monday in a very brief statement.

The three who quit are: "CNN Investigates" reporter Thomas Frank; the story's editor, Eric Lichtblau; and "CNN Investigates" executive editor Lex Haris.

The resignations come just days after CNN pulled down a story claiming longtime Trump ally Anthony Scaramucci, who played a significant role on the president's White House transition team, had deep ties to a $10 billion Russian investment fund owned by a Kremlin-connected bank.

The now-deleted story, which provided no proof of its claims, cited a single anonymous source.

On Friday of last week, CNN deleted the story from its website. The cable news group also issued the following statement, "On June 22, 2017, CNN.com published a story connecting Anthony Scaramucci with investigations into the Russian Direct Investment Fund."

It added, "That story did not meet CNN's editorial standards and has been retracted. Links to the story have been disabled. CNN apologizes to Mr. Scaramucci."

The wronged party in this case responded well to the retraction.

"[CNN] did the right thing. Classy move," Scaramucci said Saturday on social media. "Apology accepted. Everyone makes mistakes. Moving on."

To be clear, CNN hasn't admitted outright to publishing a false story.

Rather, staffers have been told the story was pulled simply because it didn't live up to editorial standards, and that a retraction doesn't necessarily mean the report itself is false, according to CNN's Brian Stelter.

It's unclear how CNN managed to bungle the story so badly. It's also unclear whether the three resignations were tendered in protest or if they came as a result of pressure from management.

What is clear, however, is that someone screwed up big time, leaving the network scrambling to do damage control.

It's a "massive, massive fuck up and people will be disciplined," one CNN source told BuzzFeed, adding that CNN CEO Jeff Zucker himself was involved in the company's internal investigation of exactly what went wrong.

The aftermath of the bogus story is being felt companywide, as editors have been instructed to do a more thorough job of vetting all Russia-related stories.

"No one should publish any content involving Russia without coming to me and [CNN vice president Jason Farkas]," CNNMoney executive editor Rich Barbieri said in an internal email circulated shortly after the Scaramucci story was retracted.

"This applied to social, video, editorial, and MoneyStream. No exceptions," added the email, a copy of which was obtained by BuzzFeed.