A top advisor to President Trump on Syria was removed from the National Security Council on Thursday amid speculation that the White House staff could soon see significant changes.
Derek Harvey, a former military intelligence officer and top Middle East advisor, will likely be reassigned to another position within the Trump administration, NSC spokesman Michael Anton told the Washington Examiner.
"General [H.R.] McMaster greatly appreciates Derek Harvey's service to his country as a career Army officer, where he served his country bravely in the field and played a crucial role in the successful surge in Iraq, and also for his service on Capitol Hill and in the Trump administration," Anton said in a statement. "The administration is working with Colonel Harvey to identify positions in which his background and expertise can be best utilized."
Harvey is not the first NSC official to be transferred off the president's national security team. K.T. McFarland left her position on the NSC this year and accepted a nomination to become ambassador to Singapore.
And Gen. Mike Flynn, the president's first national security adviser, resigned under pressure in February after the media reported that he had misled the vice president on his pre-inauguration contacts with Russians.
McMaster, Trump's current national security adviser, was said to want his own team on the NSC when he took over the council earlier this year.