Two U.S. service members were killed in action in Kandahar, Afghanistan, when their convoy came under attack, the Pentagon confirmed.

Spokesman Navy Capt. Jeff Davis confirmed the deaths, and said further details would be provided from U.S. Forces Afghanistan as it becomes available.

The NATO convoy was struck by a suicide bomber and the Taliban has since taken responsibility for the attack.

The Associated Press spoke to eyewitness Ghulam Ali, who said he saw a military vehicle on fire, followed by helicopters and soldiers being evacuated.

The attack brings to 11 the number of U.S. service members who have died in Afghanistan this year.

Today's announcement of combat deaths comes despite a policy announced last month that any public acknowledgment of casualties would be delayed until families had been notified.

When a U.S. soldier was killed by indirect fire July 3, his death was not announced until July 5, under a policy quietly instituted by Gen. John Nicholson, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, which was aimed at ensuring families learned about the death of their loved one from the military, not the media.

But at the time, Navy Capt. Bill Salvin, a spokesman for U.S. Forces-Afghanistan, said there would be exceptions to the policy, when there was a major attack or mass casualties.

"We know that there are times when the situation will dictate that we put out information prior to notification being made or prior to the 24 hours post-notification being complete," Salvin told the Washington Examiner last month.

"Gen. Nicholson wants the support systems we have in place for the families of our fallen and wounded warriors to be in place with the families before a public announcement," Salvin said.

"We are going to release the same amount of information, it will just come a bit later than it has in the past."

The latest casualties also come as President Trump is weighing whether to send more troops to Afghanistan to support the Afghan security forces, which are struggling to defeat the Taliban after nearly 16 years of fighting.

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis had hoped to have a new strategy to announce by the middle last month, one that would have included the dispatch of several thousand additional military trainers from U.S. and several NATO nations.

But the strategy review has been stalled by the White House, where some of Trump's advisers want to consider other options, including using more private contractors to support the Afghan forces, or even possibly withdrawing U.S. troops entirely.

Last month, speaking to reporters at an informal press conference, Mattis blamed the delay on the difficulty of getting strategy right.

"I've done tactics. I've done operations. I've done strategy. Strategy is orders of magnitude more difficult. It's easy only for the people who criticize it from the outside and don't carry the responsibility for integrating it all together, diplomatic, economic, long-term views, short-term urgencies, that sort of thing." Mattis said.

"And so, as you put it together, it just takes time. It just takes time," he said.