The State Department on Wednesday issued a worldwide travel alert citing terror threats from al Qaeda and urging Americans to “maintain a high level of vigilance.”
“The Department of State remains concerned about the continued threat of terrorist attacks, demonstrations, and other violent actions against U.S. citizens and interests overseas,” said the State Department in a statement posted on their website.
“Current information suggests that al-Qa’ida, its affiliated organizations, and other terrorist groups continue to plan terrorist attacks against U.S. interests in multiple regions, including Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East,” it added. “These attacks may employ a wide variety of tactics including suicide operations, assassinations, kidnappings, hijackings, and bombings.”
The alert comes just days after a brazen attack by al-Shabaab, an al Qaeda-linked group, on a mall in suburban Nairobi, Kenya, which left at least 67 dead and hundreds injured.
Kenyan military forces finally retook the mall on Tuesday, killing the last of the attackers.
President Obama earlier this week condemned the attack as a “terrible outrage” and said it “underscores” the need for international cooperation to fight terror.
The latest State Department warnings also come after Foggy Bottom was forced to shutter 19 embassies in the Mideast and North Africa in August after reports terror groups were targeting those installations.