The president's top spokesman said he sees no reason for Democrats to find an alternative presidential candidate in case Hillary Clinton is indicted over her mishandling of classified material on her private email server.

"That's not something I'm worried about," White House press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters Friday.

Earnest also tried to counter a steady stream of largely GOP predictions that Hillary Clinton will face a Justice Department indictment for the email scandal.

"That will be a decision that will be made by the Department of Justice," he said. "Some officials have said she is not the target of the investigation and it does not seem to be the direction in which it is trending."

Pressed again on whether he believed Clinton could get indicted, Earnest said firmly: "It doesn't seem to be headed in that direction."

But several press reports have circulated in the last week or so quoting officials saying there is a push for an indictment within the federal government. This week, Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., said the FBI wants Clinton and her aide, Huma Abedin, to be indicted.

Reporters pressed Earnest on whether political calculations among administration officials had any impact on the State Department's decision to delay the release of a traunch of Clinton emails that a federal judge has ordered it to make public.

"I can tell you in full confidence there has been no political interference with this process," he said. "I don't have granular knowledge of the material that is going to be released."

The State Department's time-consuming work on producing the emails, he said, has been "important because there are guidelines laid out in the [Freedom of Information Act] that requires coordination with other equities in the release of those materials.

"The volume of the material was large and they are being quite conscientious with the need to coordinate with other agencies who have a stake in their release," he said.

After claiming it misplaced 7,000 pages of documents for several months, the State Department last Friday asked Judge Rudolph Contreras for another month to release the latest batch of Clinton's emails that were due Jan. 29. The delay resulted in the emails not becoming public until after the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire and South Carolina primaries.

Last May, Contreras ordered the State Department to stick to a monthly production schedule for the emails in response to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit brought by journalist Jason Leopold.

State cited the blizzard that slammed Washington over the weekend as one of the reasons it needed more time.