A shooting during Lunar New Year celebrations in Monterey Park, California, Saturday evening killed 10 people.
Recommended Stories
The mass shooting also left 10 people injured and has left many with more questions than answers. Here is what we know about the Lunar New Year shooting.
LA COUNTY SHOOTING: SUSPECTED GUNMAN WHO FATALLY SHOT HIMSELF IN VAN IDENTIFIED
What happened?
The shooting began at approximately 10:22 p.m. local time Saturday when the gunman opened fire at the Star Ballroom Dance Studio. The incident took place during a Lunar New Year celebration at the dance studio. The gunman allegedly traveled to a second dance studio but was disarmed before he could attack by the operator of the dance hall, per the New York Times. The gunman then fled and was at large for several hours.

Who was the suspected gunman?
Huu Can Tran, 72, is the man who police believe opened fire in the Star Ballroom Dance Studio Saturday night. Tran reportedly frequented the dance studio in the 2000s and early-2010s and was an immigrant from China, per CNN.

The Hemet Police Department revealed Monday that Tran had visited its offices twice earlier this month to report alleged “past fraud, theft, and poisoning allegations involving his family in the Los Angeles area 10 to 20 years ago.” Authorities said he vowed to return with evidence of the allegations but never did.
Police also said he had a residence in Hemet, California, and that the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department executed a search warrant on the property.
Who were the victims?
The 10 deceased victims of the shooting were split between five men and five women. The Los Angeles County coroner’s office confirmed the names of two of the victims on Monday but held off on naming the other eight until their families could be notified.
The two women whose names were revealed were My Nhan, 65, and Lilan Li, 63. The other eight victims have been identified as one female in her 50s, two females in their 60s, two males in their 60s, and three males in their 70s.
Of the 10 people who were hospitalized with injuries from the shooting, seven are still in the hospital Monday morning, per CBS News.
Was the suspect caught by the police?
Tran was found by authorities dead behind the wheel of a white van in Torrance, California, Sunday, with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to police. The manhunt Sunday featured a tense standoff with SWAT teams blocking the van and police closing off the area surrounding the vehicle for several hours. Police said a handgun was among the items found in the van.

What was the motive of the gunman?
The motive of the gunman is currently unknown, as police continue the investigation into the mass shooting Monday morning.
What is being done in the aftermath of the shooting?
The dance studio where the shooting occurred announced in a Facebook post on Sunday night local time that classes would be canceled and the studio would be closed “until further notice.”
President Joe Biden has ordered all flags nationwide to be lowered to half-staff until Thursday evening. He also offered federal support to the recovery from the shooting and said the federal government “will support” the community in every way possible.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
Rep. Judy Chu (D-CA), whose district includes Monterey Park, said she “could not believe the extent of the violence” and urged for more “gun safety laws.”
Gov. Gavin Newsom (D-CA) visited the site of the shooting on Sunday, also calling for “real gun reform.” It is currently unknown if Biden plans to visit California to visit with victims and see the scene of the shooting.
