The world’s largest cycling event has been postponed until August because of the coronavirus pandemic.
This year’s Tour de France will be held Aug. 29 to Sept. 20, about a month after it was previously scheduled. The move comes after France’s other largest sporting event, the French Open tennis tournament, was also postponed from the spring to Sept. 20 through Oct. 4.
France, which has had more than 130,000 cases of the coronavirus, is under a national lockdown until at least May 11. Schools will begin to reopen after that date, although stores and other small businesses are expected to remain shuttered for longer.
The Union Cycliste Internationale, the sport’s governing body, said in a statement the change of date was made so that the iconic race could be held in better conditions after the pandemic begins to subside.
“Holding this event in the best conditions possible is judged essential given its central place in cycling’s economy and its exposure, in particular for the teams that benefit on this occasion from unparalleled visibility,” the statement said.
Chris Froome, a four-time champion of the race, cast the rescheduling in a positive light.
“The news many of us have been waiting for,” Froome tweeted on Wednesday. “Some light at the end of the tunnel — assuming all goes well.”

