Former Vice President Joe Biden will go along with the presidential debate commission’s schedule.
After President Trump’s campaign requested an additional debate with Biden to take place before early voting, the presumptive Democratic nominee’s campaign said on Wednesday that he would continue to go along with the schedule set by the Commission on Presidential Debates.
Recommended Stories
“Joe Biden will be there,” said spokesman Andrew Bates. “We await Donald Trump’s decision — and perhaps the president should put as much time into managing COVID as he does into this.”
Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani, on behalf of the president’s campaign, sent a letter to the Commission on Presidential Debates earlier in the day, asking that an additional debate be scheduled ahead of the three others and before early ballots are cast.
“The Commission’s current approach is an outdated dinosaur and not reflective of voting realities in 2020,” the letter read. “For a nation already deprived of a traditional campaign schedule because of the COVID-19 global pandemic, it makes no sense to also deprive so many Americans of the opportunity to see and hear the two competing visions for our country’s future before millions of votes have been cast.”
The campaign alternatively requested that the final presidential debate, scheduled for Oct. 22, be moved to early September if the commission is unable to add a fourth debate date. The letter also included a list of potential moderator recommendations, ranging from Fox News anchors Bret Baier, Harris Faulkner, and Shannon Bream to conservative commentators Larry Elder, Saagar Enjeti, and Hugh Hewitt.
