<img height="1" width="1" style="display:none;" alt="" src="https://px.ads.linkedin.com/collect/?pid=4400705&amp;fmt=gif">
Daniel Chaitin

Gilmore ready to rumble with return to debate stage

Jim Gilmore is returning to the GOP debate stage for the first time since August, and the former Virginia governor wants to remind voters that he is the only veteran left in the 2016 campaign for the White House.

"I am glad Fox News has decided to allow the voters to hear from the only veteran in the race for the presidency," Gilmore said in a statement to the Washington Examiner after it was announced Tuesday that he qualified for the Thursday debate. "I look forward to being able to present my views on national security, rebuilding the economy and protecting and preserving the Second Amendment rights of Americans."

"I know well the commitments our government has made to the military men and women who protect our nation," the army veteran added. "And, I am determined those commitments will be honored. I went to law school on the G.I. Bill and I understand our nation has a sacred contract with our veterans, and our national security and honor depend on the nation maintaining that contract."

Along with putting a stop to the "disgraceful abuses" of the Obama administration's Veterans Administration, Gilmore said he would commit to improving pay and benefits for veterans, as well as their access to health care.

Gilmore, who has consistently come in last in polling since the campaign began, will appear in the 7 p.m. undercard event with former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum. To qualify for the undercard, candidates had to earn at least 1 percent in a recent national poll, which Gilmore accomplished in a Fox News poll released last week. In that poll, he surpassed Santorum, who won the Iowa primary in 2012.

Gilmore's "message of protecting America and focusing on issues of national security, veterans rights and safeguarding the 2nd Amendment is gaining us support," said Dick Leggitt, a Gilmore campaign spokesman, in an email to the Examiner.

Gilmore has blamed his failure to qualify for the five debates following the first one in August has been on the Republican National Committee.

"My message to the RNC is that they should stop trying to manipulate the nomination process — it's not their job," Gilmore told the Examiner during an interview in November. "That's the job of the people of New Hampshire and the other early primary states."

During a brief spot that appeared on Fox News during its New Year's Eve broadcast, Gilmore said, "I resolve this year to be as obnoxious and loud as possible so I can get invited to the next Republican presidential debate."