The Intercept responded to reports Friday that a former employee of the news outlet was arrested for making bomb threats to Jewish community centers.
Intercept editor in chief Betsy Reed said the publication was “horrified” to learn that 31-year-old Juan Thompson had been arrested for the threats against the JCCs and the Anti-Defamation League, as well as cyberstalking a former girlfriend.
“These actions are heinous and should be fully investigated and persecuted,” Reed said in a statement.
Statement from Intercept editor @betsyreed2 on Juan Thompson pic.twitter.com/3QQJ551CrA
— Michael Calderone (@mlcalderone) March 3, 2017
Reed added that the Intercept has no further information than what was included in the criminal complaint on Thompson, who worked for the publication November 2014 to January 2016.
He was fired for fabricating stories and making faux email accounts to impersonate people.

