<img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="http://b.scorecardresearch.com/p?c1=2&amp;c2=15743189&amp;cv=2.0&amp;cj=1&amp;&amp;c5=&amp;c15=">

Mexico: Nearly 3,000 migrants have abandoned caravan, won't go on to US

Nearly 3,000 migrants who had been a part of caravans moving from Central America to the United States' southern border have abandoned the group to either stay in Mexico or return to their home countries in Central America, according to Mexican government officials.

Mexico's Interior and Foreign Ministries reported, as of Thursday, 2,934 people originally traveling to the U.S. have stopped and applied for asylum in Mexico.

Of those, 927 have canceled their asylum claim with the Mexican government and returned to Guatemala and Honduras, where the caravans originated, according to a government news release.

The two Mexican departments said federal police and immigration officers are helping transport those who chose to return home.

For the estimated 2,000 people who remain in Mexico as they wait over the next 45 to 90 days to learn if their asylum requests have been granted, 1,553 have been put up in shelters in the southern state of Chiapas.

Mexico's Commission for Refugee Aid is overseeing the application process and fielding all requests for asylum, not the U.N.

Another 478 people are in three shelters being overseen by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.

Approximately 4,000 people are still traveling to the country's border with America, according to the Mexican government.

The government said one the group was expected to arrive in the Matias Romero region of Oaxaca by Friday. The state is 1,000 miles south of South Texas, the most southern part of the U.S. It's not clear which part of the U.S. the group is planning to travel to.