Zucker: Trump attacks on CNN a ‘sad’ mistake

CNN’s top executive Jeff Zucker said President-elect Trump’s frequent attacks on the network are misguided and harmful to American interests abroad.

In an interview published Wednesday, Zucker defended CNN’s coverage of Trump after Trump blocked a CNN reporter from asking him a question.

“It’s just unfortunate that the most powerful person in the world is trying to delegitimize journalism and an organization that plays such a vital role in our democracy,” Zucker told New York magazine. “I think he’s entitled to his opinion, but it’s — to use one of his favorite words — sad.”

Asked about Trump shutting down CNN correspondent Jim Acosta when he attempted to ask a question last week, Zucker said the president-elect is underestimating CNN’s reach.

“One of the things I think this administration hasn’t figured out yet is that there’s only one television network that is seen in Beijing, Moscow, Seoul, Tokyo, Pyongyang, Baghdad, Tehran, and Damascus — and that’s CNN,” he said. “The perception of Donald Trump in capitals around the world is shaped, in many ways, by CNN. Continuing to have an adversarial relationship with that network is a mistake.”

Trump frequently criticizes CNN on Twitter, accusing the network of unfair coverage. At the press conference last week, he called the network “fake news” for reporting on unsubstantiated allegations that the Russian government has compromising personal and financial information about Trump.

Even on Monday, ahead of CNN airing a special on his daughter Ivanka, Trump said on Twitter, “Considering it is CNN, can’t imagine it will be great!”

Related Content