Three people, including a law enforcement officer and bystander, were injured after an SUV drove into the National Security Agency's headquarters in Fort Meade, Md., and shots were fired Wednesday morning.

FBI Special Agent in Charge Gordon Johnson confirmed to reporters Wednesday afternoon three suspects were in custody, including one who was taken to the hospital.

Johnson said the event was "nothing more than an isolated incident" and ruled out terrorism.

Shortly before 7 a.m. EST Wednesday, a black SUV attempted to enter the NSA parking lot, prompting security officers to take action against the threat. Investigators believe the SUV had been trying to evade police when the driver decided to drive through an NSA security clearance checkpoint.

NSA "deployed vehicle countermeasures," including throwing a row of spikes across the path of the incoming SUV. The road spikes did not stop the vehicle and NSA personnel opened fire on it.

In addition, one NSA police officer and a civil onlooker were injured during the shootout, though the FBI did not state the injuries.

Anne Arundel County Police tweeted around 7:30 a.m. about a "possible shooting" at the facility, but said it was not responding to the incident and could not provide additional information. The White House later confirmed the shooting took place.

An NBC helicopter circling above 9800 Savage Road caught footage of a handcuffed man sitting on the ground near a black SUV that appears to have collided with a barrier by one of the facility's entry gates. Bullet holes were also visible in the SUV's front window.

An NSA spokesman told NBC the situation was under control, but did not share additional information about what happened.

A White House spokesperson said President Trump was aware of the situation.

"The president has been briefed on the shooting at Ft. Meade. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone that has been affected. We will continue to provide updates as they become available," the press office said in a statement to reporters.

Anne Arundel County Fire Department said it was assisting the Fort Meade Fire Department in its response to the scene.

Maryland State Police have closed Route 22 in both directions near Canine Road.

In 2015, a transgender woman driving a car attempted to drive past security at the facility. The woman was fatally shot and her passenger was injured.