Trump: I won’t interfere with the Justice Department’s Russia investigation, for now

President Trump said Thursday he has decided not to interfere with the Department of Justice’s ongoing investigation into Russia, and won’t push it to launch an investigation into things he wants investigated, such as whether former FBI director James Comey leaked classified information.

But Trump also warned he could change his mind.

[Related: Alan Dershowitz: Trump’s talk of getting mixed up with DOJ won’t add to his ‘legal vulnerability’]

Trump expressed his disappointment in the Justice Department during a Fox News interview in which he said Comey is “guilty of crimes” that could be uncovered “if we had a Justice Department that was doing their job.”

When asked why he doesn’t push the department to do more, Trump say he’s staying out of it for now.

“Because of the fact that they have this witch hunt going on with people in the Justice Department that shouldn’t be there, they have a witch hunt against the president of the United States going on, I’ve taken the position, and I don’t have to take this position and maybe I’ll change, that I will not be involved with the Justice Department,” he said. “I will wait until this is over. It’s a total, it’s all lies and it’s a horrible thing that is going on, a horrible thing.”

Trump has repeatedly lashed out at Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who heads the department, for recusing himself from the Russia investigation. Trump has previously called on the department to target leakers, but no one has been prosecuted for leaks critical of the Trump administration.

“So very disappointed in my Justice Department,” Trump said. “Because of the fact it is going on, and I think you will understand this, I have decided I won’t be involved. I may change my mind at some point because what is going on is a disgrace. It is an absolute disgrace. By the way only collusion is with Democrats and Russians.”

Related Content