North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has backed down on his threat to launch a missile attack on Guam.
Pyongyang's state media reported early Tuesday local time North Korea's military won't strike Guam, a U.S. island territory of 160,000 people in the western Pacific Ocean that hosts American military bases.
But Kim could change his mind "if the Yankees persist in their extremely dangerous reckless actions."
A strike on Guam would be a "most delightful historic moment," Kim said, that would "wring the windpipes of the Yankees and point daggers at their necks."
The state media said Kim decided to not strike Guam after visiting a military command center and reviewing a military plan provided to him.
The change in course comes after President Trump threatened Pyongyang last week with "fire and fury."
The North Korean military responded, asserting it would complete a plan to attack "waters near Guam" by mid-August.