Sean Hannity: Sources say Trump surveillance scandal appears ‘even worse than we originally thought’

Fox News host Sean Hannity said the “investigation into the investigators” is shaping up to be more of a bombshell than previously expected.

During his evening show, Hannity played up what the Justice Department has already uncovered in its examination of the Russia investigation’s origins and potential misconduct by Justice Department and FBI officials.

“The single biggest abuse of power scandal in American history is about to be laid bare for all to see,” Hannity said Tuesday. “Sources tonight are confirming to me that things are most likely even worse than we originally thought.”

Hannity pointed to a DOJ letter written to House Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler, D-N.Y., outlining the scope of its investigation into surveillance of President Trump’s 2016 campaign. The letter said that Attorney General William Barr’s review, led by U.S. Attorney John Durham, is “broad in scope and multifaceted” and includes a look at actions both by the U.S. government and by foreigners.

The DOJ made it clear that they weren’t just looking to see if policies were violated, they’ll be looking at whether any laws were broken, too, and its review team has already asked certain intelligence community agencies to preserve records, make witnesses available, and start putting together documents that the DOJ would need to carry out its inquiry.

Hannity specifically called out former FBI Director James Comey, former CIA Director John Brennan, and former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, saying they “may want to pay close attention because this is not looking good for any of them at this hour.”

DOJ Inspector General Michael Horowitz is also investigating alleged Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act abuses, particularly the FBI’s use of an unverified dossier from British ex-spy Christopher Steele to obtain FISA warrants against onetime Trump campaign adviser Carter Page.

The FBI began its counterintelligence investigation into Trump’s campaign in the summer of 2016. It was later wrapped into special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation, which did not find sufficient evidence to establish criminal conspiracy between the Trump team and the Kremlin.

Related Content