A second suspicious package addressed to billionaire Democratic donor Tom Steyer was intercepted Thursday evening in California, the FBI announced Friday.
The FBI said the package was “similar in appearance to the others” that have been sent to several Democratic political figures in recent weeks, including former President Barack Obama, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and former Attorney General Eric Holder. A first suspicious package addressed to Steyer was intercepted last week.
“The FBI has confirmed a package was recovered last night in California, similar in appearance to the others, addressed to Tom Steyer.”
— FBI (@FBI) November 2, 2018
“These threats are not isolated but are a part of a larger assault on the norms that uphold our democracy,” Steyer said in a statement Friday. “We will not relent as we push for the broadest possible democracy and a life of dignity and respect for every American. We are more motivated than ever this Election Day to secure victories for representatives who will uphold the values of democracy rather than assault them for political convenience.”
“We’re extremely grateful that everyone is safe and thankful for the exemplary work of law enforcement and the United States Postal Service surrounding their work investigating these acts of terror,” Steyer said.
The FBI declined to comment on the most recent package’s origins.
In connection with the previous packages, authorities arrested Cesar Sayoc of Aventura, Fla., last Friday. He was charged with interstate transportation of an explosive, illegal mailing of explosives, and threatening former presidents, among other crimes.

