Mitch McConnell: Brett Kavanaugh ‘welcomes opportunity to address’ accusation

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said on Tuesday that Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh “welcomes this opportunity” to respond to an accusation he attacked a teenage girl at a party while in high school.

McConnell, R-Ky., blamed Democrats for playing politics with the accusation and “leaking this to the press instead of vetting through proper channels.”

[White House: Kavanaugh ready to testify, wants to ‘clear his name of this false allegation’]

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., the top Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, received the accusation from Christine Blasey Ford, a California psychologist, six weeks ago.

“Dr. Ford will be heard,” McConnell said. “And of course, Judge Kavanaugh will have the opportunity to defend himself against this accusation. An accusation which he has unequivocally denied.”

Feinstein told reporters Monday night she did not initially report the accusation because Ford requested confidentiality.

The Senate Judiciary Committee announced a Monday hearing at which both Kavanaugh and Ford are invited to testify. Ford has not yet responded to the invitation, panel Chairman Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, said on Hugh Hewitt’s radio show Monday morning.

McConnell said the accusation is at odds with the positive testimony delivered about Kavanaugh at a week-long confirmation hearing earlier this month as well as friends and acquaintances from his high school years who have spoken out about his character.

“He welcomes this opportunity to address the committee about this claim,” McConnell said.

Related Content