Troy Aikman backtracks on ‘take the dresses off’ comment following backlash


Monday Night Football announcer Troy Aikman called his Monday comment “dumb” during a radio interview on Thursday.

While announcing a game Monday evening, Aikman said, “My hope is that the competition committee looks at this in the next set of meetings and, you know, we take the dresses off.”

WATCH: DESANTIS TELLS PARKLAND SCHOOL SHOOTER ‘YOU DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY’

He then faced backlash on social media, as some found the comment “misogynistic” or “homophobic.”

“My comments were dumb, just shouldn’t have made them,” Aikman reportedly told 96.7 “The Ticket.” “Just dumb remarks on my part.”

ESPN previously declined to comment on the situation when reached out to by the Washington Examiner.

Troy Aikman
Troy Aikman attends the Disney 2022 Upfront presentation at Basketball City Pier 36 on Tuesday, May 17, 2022, in New York. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP)

One of his critics was Paola Boivin, the first female journalist to be named to the Arizona Sports Hall of Fame. “The competition committee ‘needs to take the dresses off’?? Aren’t we past using things associated with women as a pejorative? C’mon, Troy Aikman,” she tweeted.

According to a Thursday report, Washington Commanders owner Dan Snyder believes the NFL “can’t f*** with me” because of the information he possesses about several key figures within the league. He reportedly said this as allegations of sexual misconduct, among other things, have amassed against him.

Sources told ESPN that Snyder says the “dirt” he has could “blow up” other NFL owners and even have implications for commissioner Roger Goodell.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER

However, a spokesperson for Snyder’s team has denied ESPN’s reporting.

Related Content