County launches seven-week preparedness campaign

Published June 6, 2006 4:00am ET



Baltimore County officials on Monday announced the launch of new seven-week campaign to help residents create a survival kit to help them get through the first 72 hours of a major emergency on their own.

The education drive, dubbed “Caring About Preparing,” is a countywide offshoot of the regional “Ready? Set? Good” initiative unveiled last month, and provides residents with weekly shopping lists recommending such items as manual can openers, extra prescription drugs, and disposable cameras to document damage for insurance purposes.

The first week of the campaign is focused on three basic survival items: flashlights, radios and water supply.

“During an emergency, there often isn?t time to prepare,” said County Executive Jim Smith. “These things need to be gathered beforehand.”

The campaign also provides survival tips ? such as replacing supplies of food, medicines and batteries every six months to ensure freshness ? and general emergency guidelines, like finding a contact person outside of the area for family members to call in case they are separated.

Officials said the education campaign targets the county?s senior citizens and residents on fixed incomes who may want to spread out the purchase of essential items, starting with those identified as the most at risk.

If you?re interested

The guides are available at all county libraries, senior centers and on the county?s Web site at www.co.ba.md.us.