Chicago man sentenced to 40 months for attempting to join ISIS

A young man from outside Chicago was sentenced Friday to 40 months in federal prison for attempting to provide material support to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

Mohammed Hamzah Khan of Bolingbrook, Ill., will also serve an additional 20 years of supervised release, according to a Justice Department press release.

U.S. District Judge John Tharp Jr. said the 21-year-old must participate in a mental health treatment program following his release, receive random visits from a probation officer and comply with a computer monitoring program that will ensure he is not trying to communicate with the Islamic State or any other terrorist group in the future.

In October 2014, Khan was detained by federal agents at O’Hare International Airport in Chicago for attempting to leave the country to join terrorists. He started communicating with Islamic State members in Syria earlier that year about traveling overseas to join the jihad fighters, prosecutors said.

Khan pleaded guilty to the terrorism-related charges in 2015, admitting in his plea agreement that he was aware the U.S. deemed the Islamic State a terrorist organization.

Related Content