W.H. shooting suspect held without bond
The man accused of shooting at the White House with an assault rifle will remain in custody without bond. Oscar Ramiro Ortega-Hernandez, who is charged with trying to assassinate President Obama, made his first appearance in federal court in the District on Monday. He is set to receive a psychological evaluation and another hearing has been scheduled for Nov. 28, according to the Associated Press.
Ortega-Hernandez, 21, of Idaho, was apprehended in western Pennsylvania last week. Authorities say he fired at the White House the evening of Nov. 11 from his vehicle. The president and first lady were not home.
Flash mob theft probed
Montgomery County police are investigating a flash mob theft involving about 50 young people at a Silver Spring convenience store.
Police said the incident happened at about 11:20 p.m. Saturday at the 7-Eleven at 12257 Tech Road. About 50 teenagers and young adults simultaneously ransacked the store, taking snacks and drinks.
Six people, ages 16 to 18, were stopped and questioned, but not charged. All had items from the 7-Eleven and could not provide receipts, police said. A police spokeswoman said officers wanted to examine video footage, which was not obtained until Monday, before filing charges.
Investigators believe the teens may have been attending a birthday party nearby. – Emily Babay
– Emily Babay
