US Embassy bomber reportedly had terror conviction

Published February 3, 2013 7:26pm ET



A suicide bomber who attacked the U.S. Embassy in the Turkish capital spent four years in prison on terrorism charges prior to his release for a brain disorder contracted while on hunger strike, a Turkish official said Saturday.

The 40-year-old bomber, Ecevit Sanli, reportedly detonated an explosive device on the outside perimeter of the American Embassy in Ankara Friday, killing himself and an embassy guard in a terrorist attack whose motives are under investigation.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that Sanli was arrested in 1997 for membership in the outlawed Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party-Front, or DHKP-C, which has claimed responsibility for assassinations and bombings since the 1970s.

The group has been designated a terrorist organization by the United States but had been relatively quiet in recent years.

The attack was initially believed to be the work of either Al Qaeda or a proxy for Iran. Turkish officials, though, said the bombing was linked to leftist domestic militants.

Read more at Fox News.