Marshals seek fugitive with violent streak

Published October 22, 2009 4:00am ET



Prince Stewart III U.S. Marshals are looking for a violent fugitive with a history of being armed, and authorities are asking the public for information to help bring him to justice.

Prince Stewart III, 31, was on parole for a conviction on a federal weapons charge when he was arrested in Alexandria last year on suspicion of an assault. A warrant was issued for his arrest in October 2008. He has not been heard from since.

Matt Burke, supervisory inspector with the Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force, said Stewart was the type of person that anyone who was familiar with him would readily provide authorities with information about his whereabouts.

“Stewart is the definition of a regional threat with criminal history in Maryland, D.C. and Virginia. He certainly has violent tendencies, even against his own family,” Burke said. “The investigator has hit a wall, so we want to get his picture in The Examiner and put some heat on him.”

Stewart has a history of arrests dating back to 1997, Burke said. He has been arrested on charges varying from drug possession and distribution to assault, stalking, auto theft, assault with a firearm and possession of a weapon.

Stewart, listed as 5 feet 9 inches tall and 200 pounds, has lived on Joliet Street in Southwest Washington, on Princess Street in Alexandria and Capitol Heights in Prince George’s County.

Anyone with information on Stewart’s whereabouts can call the U.S. Marshals Service at 800-336-0102 or 301-489-1717. The Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force, run by the U.S. Marshals Service, is composed of 30 federal, state and local agencies from Baltimore to Norfolk. The unit has captured more than 29,000 wanted fugitives since its creation in 2004.

[email protected]